Issue Ten - January 1996
Keith Sherwood (email@example.com) writes :
In fact, the entire TV anthology is just a big commercial for
the eventual 9-10 hour "unexpurgated" video Anthology, on sale
near you soon. The entire thing (the marketing push?) left me
completely cool: I only watched about 90 minutes of the second
episode, and found its song "Real Love" no better than when Yoko
released it on the Post-Mortem John album.
I guess I resent feeling like I have to say, "Oh, I was a
Beatlemaniac before it was made fashionable by the biggest
marketing frenzy since Windows 95."
To which the sub-editor responds :
I can see what you mean, although a more cynical person than me
might equate this to the common musical conceit of "Oh, I
discovered XYZ long before anyone else had ever heard of them."
The problem being that you can only really say this vis-a-vis
the Fab Four if you (a) frequented various seedy Hamburg
nightclubs in 1961 or (b) are called Brian Epstein...
Afterlithe II 3019 (93?? ts??) Downfall XIII
"RICHARD M. JOHNSON"
- DWARVES/GOOD (Mike Gonslaves, UNITED STATES.) :
- _2A(Gor)*-Oro_, A(DGu) stand unordered, _Dain & 2A(Dag)-Udu_,
A(Bre) S A(Nen)-Shi, _A(FEr) S A(Bre)_, A(OFR)-Esg, A(Nen)-Shi,
- ELVES/GOOD (Donald Scarr, SCOTLAND.) :
- A(Lor) stands, A(Crk)-OFR, _A(NDo)-FEr_, _F(Cit)*stands_,
A(Cdl)-Tha, A(Rhu)-Wea, A(NiE) S A(Dun), A(Fra)-Eot, _A(Shi)*S
A(NDo)-FEr_, _A(Dun)*S A(Cdl)-Tha_, A(Ise) S A(Dun), F(GUL)-Fld,
A(GHa) S F(GUL)-Fld, A(EKH) S A(Crk)-OFR, A(And) stands.
- GANDALF/GOOD (Iain Bowen, Great Britain.):
- Aragorn/Dead(Ene)-Dun, Gandalf(. . . . . .) - . . . . . .
- GONDOR/GOOD (Chris Q. Hardy, Great Britain.) :
- A(SGo) Embark F(SBY), A(Dor) Embark Faramir/F(ETH),
Faramir/A/F(ETH) Merge A/F(SBY) = Faramir/2A/2F(SBY),
Faramir/2A(SBY) Disembark Cit, 2A(CAn)-NIt, A(Osg) stand, R(.
. . . . . ) - . . . . . ., A(MMo) S A/C(Oro)-Gor, A/C(Oro)-Gor ;
- MORDOR/EVIL (Despair) :
- Lord of the Nazgul/3A(Hrd), A(Kha), A(Hdw), 2A(Udu), Nazgul(. .
. . . . ) all stand unordered.
- ROHAN/GOOD (Pete Gaughan, UNITED STATES.) :
- C(NRh)-SRh, _A(NIt)*S GONDOR A(Oro)-Udu_ (no such order),
_A(DMa) S GONDOR A(Oro)-Udu_ (no such order), A(Nin) S A(DMa),
Theoden(Emy)-Nin, A(Wol) stands, A(Gap) S Aragorn/Dead(Ene)-Dun,
- DWARVES 2A(Gor) disbands, no legal retreat ordered.
- ELVES A(Dun) disbands, no retreat possible.
- ELVES F(Cit) disbands, no retreat ordered.
- ELVES A(Shi)-SFo.
- ROHAN A(NIt) disbands, no retreat possible.
Afterlithe III 3019 Adjustments :
- DWARVES : Iro, Ere, Blu, -Fld, Esg, FEr, -SRh, DGu, Bre, -Nur, +Shi
- =8 no change
- ELVES : EKH, Lor, Iml, GHa, Hdn, Crk, And, CDm, Eot, Gun, -Shi,
-Dun, -Cit, Hol, Ise, +Tha +Fld
- =14 +A(GHa)
- GANDALF : Dru, +Dun
- =2 two short, no rooom
- GONDOR : MTi, Pel, +1, DAm, SIt, Osg, Lam, SGo, MMo, +Nur +Cit
- =11 +A(MTi)
- MORDOR : Bar, Udu, -6, Kha, Hrd.
- =4 g.m. rem 2A(Hrd), A(Udu).
- ROHAN : DHa, Eas, HDe, Wol, EEm, Ano, RRu, +SRh
- =8 +A(Eas), C(HDe)
- SARUMAN : KDm.
- =1 one short, no build ordered
- UMBAR : Hav.
- =1 one short, no build ordered
- NEUTRAL : -Tha.
GENEVA : Please note the CHANGE OF ADDRESS for Iain, Chris and
the g.m.. The proposed extrapolated DWARVES/ELVES/GONDOR/ROHAN
draw was defeated by abstentions only. We now have proposed :
The deadline for votes, Wedmath I 3019 orders and retreats is
FRIDAY, 23rd FEBRUARY, 1996, to Peter Sullivan. E-mail :
- An extrapolated DWARVES/ELVES/GONDOR/ROHAN draw (again)
- A Draw Including All Survivors (DWARVES/ELVES/GANDALF/GONDOR/ROHAN).
ON A FINE MIDSUMMER'S MORNING SOMEWHAT BELOW THE MISTY
MOUNTAINS, OH YES : "You can stop that, for a start," scowled
the flamboyantly-dressed Yorkshireman, "Gaudy" Amos Igitur. "If
I want press datelines that sound like John Major about to do
one of his paeans to warm beer again, I'll let you know."
Amos was not usually this curt (actually, that's probably a
lie), but at the moment, like John Major's favourite warm beer,
he was feeling bitter. Things hadn't gone well since the three
of them had left Tharbad some weeks before, and now he was
footsore after a long trek through Moria with Benni Vivamus and
the ginger-bearded Amt5man. The latter had got into a frenzy
shortly as Amos had lead them north up the Greenway, where he
intended to sit out the rest of the war in one of the infamous
Southfarthingweed Smoking cafes in Amsterbree. But Amt5man had
insisted on leading the party east, towards the Misty Mountains,
mumbling something about "Cee-Mage! We hatesss him! Stole it
from usss! Livesss in nasssty deep sssundered land, yesss!!!"
There journey through Moria had been suspiciously quiet so far,
and they were rapidly approaching the East Gate, when Amt5man
tripped over a large, dusty tome placed across the path. Leaving
him to pick himself up, the other two dusted off the
leather-bound volume and turned to the frontispiece to reveal
the legend "Perelandra #369."
"It seems a strange and spidery hand, much in the manner of the
Horse-fanciers," said Amos.
"I wonder what this means?" said Benni, pointing to the last
entry, which said "Drum machines, drum machines, down in the
"I don't know, but I like this less and less," said Amos.
"Let's get out of here."
As they made their way towards the bridge which lead towards
safety, there was a dramatic explosion, and Music of the Year
Lists suddenly cascaded around the frightened adventurers.
"Aiee, aiee, a Boob-rog has come!" cried Benni. "Most feared of
all musicbores since the Crottled Greeper!" The large, shambolic
firery figure, suddenly highlighted clear in profile on the very
arch of the bridge, lurched towards them...